The pros on keeping the house:
- There is always a place to fall back into after we are done with RV dwelling, or if something would happen and we will be forced to get back to "normal life".
- Real estate is always an investment, the house will still be there, and maybe we could sell it later on if we need to, or if we find another place we would like to call home.
- The house is really a unique, we still could be able to make it into our dream home with few changes.
- Lees family lives here, and we would love to be close to them.
- This is a great place to live, very desirable area, and this kind of lots are too difficult to find in neighborhoods like this (the lot is huuuuge).
- We love the house!
- The house could be generating some income for us. Paying the mortgage and leave a bit over for fixes that might be needed, and maybe even leave some money to drive a few more miles on our trip.
The cons on keeping the house:
- It is older house and needs constant maintaining. We either need to pour money into it now, or risk the fixes without our supervision. (costs more, and once you aren't supervising the work, anything is possible)
- Some major repairs are in our future if we keep it.
- The Texas heat is really brutal and can cause some serious damage to our house, especially if it is leased out to someone who doesn't care about it as much as we do.
- We wouldn't have as much money to start with if we didn't sell the house.
- Being absent for years while the house is rented out can destroy the landscaping and pretty much anything else too.
- The fixes on the rental are quite difficult to do on the budget while travelling.
- The repairs can be costly, especially on the major things like AC units.
|The critters won't give a rats patootie where we live,|
and who lives in our house as long as they have a pile
of blankets to burrow into
For now, I think we have made the decision. This post has been a draft for weeks now, and I finally found it more fitting to our situation now, since after listening to our friends who also happen to be experts in real estate or rental properties, we have decided to go forward with the intention of keeping the house and leasing it out instead. I feel happy, since I can still have my dream of fixing it into a perfect place. And if the road is going to claim us, then be it, the option to sell it later on is not going to disappear anywhere.